Friday, February 17, 2006

Sociology

These are a bunch of tests that sociologists have people take so as to create an accurate index of their personality. After each of the numbered sentences, patients specify whether they strongly agree, agree, can't really decide, disagree, or strongly disagree (that kind of survey is called a likert index). Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers to calibrate the results, but the research is at the end of the index is interesting to read through. We didn't do this in class, but we've talked about them when discussing clinical studies, I thought they were interesting enough to share.


Mattering Index

The following questionnaire consists of a series of statements that measure your assessment of your relations with other people. When you respond to these statements, please do not focus on specific others in your lives; rather, try to focus on other people in general. Think of the entire collection of other people who populate your everyday life, and respond to each statement in terms of whether it accurately describes your relations with others as a general rule. Do not spend too much time on any one statement; your first reaction is probably most accurate.


1. Quite a few people look to me for advice on issues of importance.

2. Most people do not seem to notice when I come or when I go.

3. I am not someone people turn to when they need something.

4. People tend to rely on me for support.

5. In social gatherings, no one recognizes me.

6. People do not care what happens to me.

7. There are people in my life who react to what happens to me in the same way they would if it had happened to them.

8. Sometimes when I am with others, I feel almost as if I were invisible.

9. My successes are a source of pride to people in my life.

10. When people need help, they come to me.

11. I have noticed that people will sometimes inconvenience themselves to help me.

12. If the truth be known, no one really needs me.

13. People are usually aware of my presence.

14. When I have a problem, people usually don't want to hear about it.

15. For whatever reason, it is hard for me to get other people's attention.

16. Whatever else may happen, people do not ignore me.

17. For better or worse, people generally know when I am around.

18. Much of the time, other people are indifferent to my needs.

19. There are people in my life who care enough about me to criticize me when I need it.

20. Often people trust me with things that are important to them.

21. No one would notice if one day I just disappeared.

22. There is no one who really takes pride in my accomplishments.

23. People count on me to be there for them in times of need.

24. People tend not to remember my name.



Here are some results of research on mattering. Compared to those high in mattering, those who believe that they do not matter are more likely to:
1. have low self-esteem;
2. think seriously about suicide;
3. engage in binge drinking;
4. do violence to other family members.


THE SELF-ESTEEM INDEX (Rosenberg, 1965)

Directions: For each item, circle the number that most closely corresponds to your reaction. Be candid in your response! Sum up the scores on each item to yield your Self-Esteem total score. The higher your score, the higher your level of self-esteem.


1. On the whole, I am satisfied with myself.

2. At times, I think I am no good at all.

3. I feel that I have a number of good qualities.

4. I am able to do things as well as most people.

5. I feel that I do not have much to be proud of.

6. I certainly feel useless at times.

7. I feel that I am a person of worth, at least on an equal plane with others.

8. I wish I could have more respect for myself.

9. All in all, I am inclined to think that I am a failure.

10. I take a positive attitude toward myself.


Here are some results of research on Self-Esteem. Compared to those with high self-esteem, low self-esteem people are more likely to:

1. be chronically depressed;
2. have an unstable self-concept;
3. feel vulnerable to criticism;
4. be submissive to the will of others;
5. avoid participating in social activities;
6. have low educational aspirations/expectations;
7. avoid risks.

Further, antecedents to variations in self-esteem are many. Compared to those with high self-esteem, low self-esteem people are more likely to have the following background characteristics:

1. low socioeconomic status (in adulthood only);
2. a dissonant social context (live in an environment in which they are a distinct minority; includes racial contexts, religious contexts, and status contexts);
3. a broken family;
4. a failure to matter to others;
5. a close relationship to parents (especially fathers);
6. unattractive physical appearance.



THE REVISED SELF-MONITORING INDEX (Snyder, 1987)

Directions: For each item, circle the number that most closely corresponds to your reaction. Be candid in your response! Sum up the scores on each item to yield your Self-Monitoring total score. The higher your score, the higher your level of self-monitoring.


1. I find it hard to imitate the behavior of other people.

2. At parties and social gatherings, I do not attempt to do or say things that others will like.

3. I can only argue for ideas which I already believe.

4. I can make impromptu speeches even on topics about which I have no information.

5. I guess I put on a show to impress or entertain others.

6. I would probably make a good actor.

7. In a group of people I am rarely the center of attention.

8. In a different situation and with different people, I often act like very different persons.

9. I am not particularly good at making people like me.

10. I’m not always the person I appear to be.

11. I would not change my opinions (or the way I do things) in order to please someone or win their favor.

12. I have considered being an entertainer.

13. I have never been good at games like charades or improvisational acting.

14. I have trouble changing my behavior to suit different people and different situations.

15. At a party I let others keep the jokes and stories going.

16. I feel a bit awkward in company and do not show up quite as well as I should.

17. I can look anyone in the eye and tell a lie with a straight face (if for a right end).

18. I may deceive people by being friendly when I really dislike them.



Here are some results of research on Self-Monitoring. Compared to low self-monitors, high self-monitors are more likely to:
1. control the pace of conversations with others;
2. prefer highly structured interactions;
3. practice audience segregation in their self-presentations;
4. prefer physical characteristics to personality traits in selecting a romantic partner;
5. prefer occupations that call on them to portray clearly defined roles;
6. become depressed because of threats to self-presentation rather than threats to self-concept stability;
7. date more partners and stay with each partner for a shorter period of time.

Given your level of self-monitoring, how does your everyday behavior compare with the results of this research?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?